Wednesday, June 5, 2013

elizabeth's directions

elizabeth kidly sent the instructions on how she made this card and envelope.

The technique used on this envelope is sponging straight Golden acrylics onto some inexpensive rice paper, which produces a lightweight envelope. I used the Golden Acrylics from the jar: Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold, Quinacridone Gold, and Iridescent Bright Gold (Fine) with a small piece of sponge, cut down from a large "QEP XL All Purpose Sponge" found in either the car wash, tile grout or paint section of Home Depot. They are yellow-orange in color, 2" thick and about 8" long.
It's just random dabbing, layering as you go, with a light touch, and very small amount of paint, until the paper is covered! Fun to do and nice WOW factor!

As for the chunky letters, I drew out some Neuland-esque letters, then made myself stencils, that can be used for embossing, as well as stamping into. The "positive" section that was cut out, can also be used to trace around, then cut out, which is what I did for the black letters and the decorative paper letters! I love the chunky letterforms!!

The rice paper, which is similar in weight to tissue paper, has been inspired by the collage technique developed by Eric Carle, illustrator or "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"  so go to his website: www.eric-carle.com/slideshow_paint.html for more inspiration!!

thank you elizabeth.
and this is a second post of the day, so don't miss the one below.

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth I really loved the explicit directions. So often, I admire a work and have no idea how it was done. Thank you for the details.
    The envelope and card are both wonderful and creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your blog when looking for something completely different, and glad I did. So many interesting ways to send a letter, and I really like reading about your artistic process. Somewhere in your blog (via a link, maybe) I came across something about handmade envelopes, which made me remember that I used to do this 20 years ago.

    I rummaged around in the basement last night - and I still have around 50 left! Each one was numbered, I got up to about 120 before I mysteriously stopped doing it. Now if only I knew what to do with them, as I hardly write letters anymore. Maybe I should scan them for a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi FinnBadger. welcome to the blog. there are plenty of people who enjoy exchanging mail. if you would like to know where to connect with them, let me know and i will list some options for you. thanks for posting :-)

    if you do scan them and put them on a blog, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete