Thursday, December 14, 2017

Bonus Post - Neiman's Catalogue

Bonus post today because the regularly scheduled post is so boring.

I remember the first time I saw a Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog which they call The Christmas Book. It was at the ad agency where I worked after college. They always had a few big splashy over-the-top items that sometimes made the news.

Recently,  a piece of fabric (from my dwindling stash) that I had hoped to make into something for my granddaughter resurfaced, but, sadly, she is cut off the same bolt as both her mother and myself. The fabric is Pendleton wool and it is very similar to the Burberry plaid. I thought I could knock off a cute Burberry jumper for her. But it is basically camel with black and white and a bit of red. She would recoil in horror. When her mom was 3, her daddy came home from a Grateful Dead concert with a brown t-shirt for our daughter. She threw it on the floor and stomped on it. And when I was little, there were epic battles when my mom tried to get me to wear navy blue anklets with those little red May Janes. The horror.

The fabric is really pretty and I figured I could knock off something from Burberry for myself. Yowza. If you want to see some wild stuff, go look at the current items that Burberry has online. There are some coats that I would wear in a minute. But the actual clothing is way too avant-garde for Des Moines. Neiman's popped into my head when I didn't see anything appropriate at Burberry.

At the Neiman's website, I saw that their Christmas *Book* is available online, so I flipped through to see what they had as their over-the-top gifts. They have a section called Fantasy Gifts (pg 124) - which makes me wonder if anyone ever buys them. On pages 138-139 they have some origami ornaments that are supporting an organization that brings water to people in need of water. You may buy one ornament for $50 or 250 ornaments for $50,000 + you get to choose two locations where they will drill wells + you get an origami master to come to your home and give private lessons and make 5 more ornaments. Interesting gift. I know Mr. Wilson will be very disappointed that his gift budget will not allow him to get this for me.

Link to the catalog - if you think you need those ornaments.
The Christmas Book

Regular post is below.

No comments:

Post a Comment